You might have locked BIOS of your PC or laptop so that no one can tamper with your settings. It is a good method to be secure but if you want to perform any update you must have your password. Your computer might be useless unless you unlock the BIOS. Luckily there are few methods to unlock BIOS password of your PC and Laptop which are mentioned below.
Methods to unlock BIOS password of your PC and Laptop
There are mainly three methods to unlock BIOS password of your PC and Laptop easily.
Password Jumper Method
This method is mainly preferred for desktop users. While every motherboard does not have password jumpers, but almost motherboards have dozens of jumpers.
Important: Unplug the power cord from motherboard and ground yourself to avoid shorting and any static discharge.
- Find the BIOS Jumper, double check your motherboard’s documentation and locate the jumper carefully. There might be more similar looking jumpers. It is typically located on the edge of motherboard or near the CMOS battery.
- Jumper mainly has three pins, two of which are pins that control the BIOS password. The jumpers may be labeled as CLEAR CMOS, CLEAR, CLR, JCMOS1, PASSWORD, PSWD etc.
- Move the jumper by pacing the covered pins on the one exposed pin and an already covered pin (center pin). Put all connections back and start your PC, this will clear all the passwords saved in the BIOS.
- Turn off the computer and remove all the connections and power cord. Place the jumper back to its original position.
- Your PC is ready to use again.
Removing CMOS battery
This method is very simple and you can use this to unlock BIOS password of your desktop if you do not want to read the motherboard’s manual.
- This method also works only for desktop computers. Turn off your computer and remove the power cable.
- Ground yourself and locate the CMOS battery, similar to a car remote or watch battery and looks like a silver coin.
- Remove the CMOS battery from its place and wait for couple of hours so that all the power stored in the capacitors is discharged. You can bypass the wait time by moving the CLR CMOS jumper to “Clear” position while the battery is removed, it will automatically discharge the capacitor that is storing the backup power to the CMOS chip.
- Replace the battery and make all connections of your PC.
- You have cleared all the passwords on your BIOS. You will also have to reset time and date in the BIOS setup.
Backdoor password Method
If you have a Laptop, than the above methods to unlock BIOS Password will not work. It is hard to locate the jumpers and CMOS battery on a laptop because it is not easy to open your laptop as it is in case of desktop PC. Laptop users have to use Backdoor passwords to unlock BIOS Password. These passwords are encrypted and can be decrypted by running special key generating scripts.
- Turn on your Laptop and guess the password three times in the BIOS until it shows “System disabled”. Don’t worry, it will not disable your system, a mere power reset will get you back to BIOS.
- Note down the alphanumeric code shown, that is actually a check-sum of the password stored in the Flash ROM.
- Now generate a Backdoor Password by using a working computer. Go to http://bios-pw.com/ and enter the noted code there and click on get password. It may take some time to generate the password.
- Unlock your Laptop using this password.
Some Laptops use the serial number to generate password, refer to More Details section on the above mentioned site.
You can try the above methods to unlock BIOS password of your PC and Laptop without any problems. These are free of cost and absolutely safe if you are following steps carefully. Best of luck..
If you have any other query, feel free to share us via comments.