How to Format Your iPhone 4S the Easy Way: The iPhone 4S officially went on sale to the masses last October 14, 2011. This device is now almost 5 years old. Because of this, the mobile might need refreshing. Formatting is a good way of doing this.
Sturdy and Reliable iPhone 4S
For those of you still using an iPhone 4S and wants to reset your device for whatever reason (personal or otherwise), we have made this extremely easy to follow guide to get that just unboxed feeling again for your iPhone.
See also: Fix Error 3194 in iTunes while upgrading or restoring iOS
How to Format Your iPhone 4S
There are two methods to format your unit:
- Using the reset function built-in into the phone itself
- Using iTunes to format your mobile
We will lay out the easy steps for both methods to reset your favourite device to make it fast again. Remember that formatting/resetting your unit will erase all data on your iPhone. That’s not a problem if you have saved your data to a computer or synced everything to iCloud. This way, you can restore all your data after you have formatted your gadget.
Method 1: Using the built-in reset function
- Find the “Settings” icon on your iPhone’s screen
Find the “Settings” icon
- Look for “Reset” and select “Erase All Content and Settings”.
Are you sure you want to do this?
- Touch the “Erase iPhone” option
- Your device may ask for your pass code so key it in
- Your device will reset and it is advisable that you reboot it.
- After rebooting, you now have a totally clean and fresh-from-the-factory iPhone 4S!
Method 2: Using iTunes to reset your iPhone 4S
For this second method, you will need to have the latest iTunes installed on your laptop, Macbook or PC. After the installation, follow the steps below to reset your mobile device:
- Connect your iPhone 4S to your computer via the cable which came with your unit (or any compatible cable)
Connecting to iTunes
- Upon connection, your computer will open iTunes once your iPhone 4S is recognized
- Back-up your data (just in case something goes awry)
- In iTunes, choose your iPhone in the upper left hand corner and hit the “Restore” button (some show “restore and update”)
Fortune favors the brave!
- iTunes will now download the correct ipsw (iPhone Software) file for your iPhone 4S (needs internet connection, of course)
- After the download, iTunes will automatically reset your mobile to its original factory setting
- You can now either restore from the back-up you made earlier or set up your device as a new iPhone
- Give your newly restored iPhone 4S a name to go with its new lease on life
You have just restored your iPhone 4S to its factory condition. It’s time to load it up with your favourite apps, movies and songs.
Resetting/Formatting your old device is just one way of getting the most from your “vintage” gadget. The iPhone 4S is compatible with latest iOS 9 from Apple. Why not try to keep your phone updated.
This way, you will benefit from the new features Apple had loaded with its updated operating system. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. If the new OS doesn’t suit your taste, then you can use our handy guide to restore your iPhone 4S to its original setting.
See also: iPhones compatible with iOS9
If you found our post useful, let us know in the comments or like and share it using your preferred social media platform below.