How to Enable/Disable Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1/8:There are many ways to share data from one PC to another. You can share by emails, Cloud sharing, USBs Bluetooth and the fastest of all Remote desktop sharing. Remote desktop connection allows you to use all data and apps on any remote PC using your PC only, such as you were in front of that PC itself. In this article we will guide to to how to enable/disable remote desktop connection in Windows 8.1/8. To connect to another PC using remote desktop connection follow these steps.
Download Windows 8.1/8
First of all you must know which OS’s can be connected using Remote Desktop connection. You can use PC running on any edition of Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows RT, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP to initiate connection. But the remote PC must be running on any of Windows 8.1 Pro/Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise, Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate, Windows Vista Business/Enterprise/Ultimate or Windows XP Professional. If yes than you can connect to a remote desktop connection.
How to Enable/Disable Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1/8
How to Enable Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1/8
- Swipe to right edge of screen and tap ‘Search’ and enter ‘Remote Desktop’ and click Select users who can use remote desktop. If prompted for admin password than provide and confirm.
- In System Properties > Remote Desktop > select Allow remote connections to this computer.
- Now click on Select users > Remote desktop users > click Add.
- In Select users or Groups dialog box select location and enter name of users who can connect to network.
Also see: How to fix Whatsapp failed out of memory please try again later
Now if you want to connect to a remote PC, you must know full name of PC to which you want to connect.
To connect to a work PC
You can connect to a work PC using a work PC or Home PC. You can connect only one work PC at a time. If another user is using at that time you must sign him out before signing in.
Connect from a work PC to another work PC
- Go to ‘Search’ and type ‘Remote Desktop Connection’.
- Enter the name of PC you want to connect and click to ‘Connect’. You can also use IP address instead of the PC name.
Connect from a home PC to a work PC
You can connect to a work PC from a home PC by connecting to your corporate network. It can be done in two ways. First method is to use Virtual Private Network (VPN) and second is to use Remote Desktop Gateway (RD Gateway) server.
See How to fix Google Play Store Error 110
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
VPNs are generally used to connect PCs to large networks over the Internet. Follow these steps to establish Virtual Private Network (VPN):
- Go to ‘Search’ and under ‘Settings’ enter ‘Network and Sharing Center’.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Network and Sharing Center’.
- Now select ‘Set up a new connection or network’ and click ‘Connect to a Workplace’ and follow the instructions.
- Now go to ‘Search’ option and enter ‘Remote Desktop Connection’.
- Enter the name of the work PC to which you want to connect and click ‘Connect’. You can also use IP Address instead of PC name.
Also see:How to Check health of Hard disk
Remote Desktop Gateway (RD Gateway) server
It helps people connect to work PCs on a corporate network from any PC with an Internet connection, even if the two networks use different protocols.
- Open ‘Remote Desktop Connection’ as done in above processes.
- Click on ‘Show Options’, select ‘Advanced’ tab and then go to ‘Connect from anywhere’ and click on ‘Settings’.
- Now select Use these ‘RD Gateway server settings’, and enter the Server name.
- In Logon method, Chose one of the following:
- Allow me to select later, this option lets you to choose how to sign in while connecting.
- Ask for password (NTLM), this option asks you for a password while connecting.
- Smart card, this option asks for a smart card while connecting.
- To help make your connection faster, select Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses check box. Click ‘OK’.
- Click ‘General’ tab and enter name (or IP address) of PC to which you want to connect and tap ‘Connect’.
See How to fix Android Error 492
How To disable the Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1/8
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and then select ‘System and Security’.
- Now in ‘Remote settings’ tab uncheck the ‘Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer’.
- Go to ‘System properties’ under the ‘Remote’ tab select the above option and you are done with disabling of any
- Remote Desktop Connections to your PC.
The above discussed methods will help you to disable or enable Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 8.1/8. Hope it worked for you. For any other query please contact us via comments below.